This week’s edition of Solidarity contains articles by Max Shachtman and Hal Draper, two of the foremost writers of “third camp” Trotskyism, the anti-Stalinist Marxists who refused to acknowledge the Stalinist states as somehow progressive against capitalism.
Their work, and the tradition they tried to build, is far less well known than it deserves to be. At a time when many on the left still place their faith in perceived lesser evils and substitutes for independent working-class self-organisation (Latin American statist-reformism, political Islam, or some other form of vague “anti-imperialism”), the ideas of a tradition which sought to reassert democratic working-class self-emancipation as the defining core of the socialist project remain hugely important.
Workers’ Liberty wants your financial support so we can continue to popularise that tradition. Our plans for book releases in 2013 include a book of Shachtman’s writings on Trotsky, but publication will be impossible without donations.
Help us raise £15,000 by May Day 2013. You can contribute in the following ways:
* Taking out a monthly standing order using the form below or at www.workersliberty.org/resources. Please post completed forms to us at the AWL address below.
* Making a donation by cheque, payable to “AWL”, or donating online at www.workersliberty.org/donate.
* Organising a fundraising event.
* Taking copies of Solidarity to sell.
* Get in touch to discuss joining the AWL. More information: 07796 690874 / firstname.lastname@example.org / AWL, 20E Tower Workshops, 58 Riley Road, London SE1 3DG.
Total raised so far: £8,101
We raised £84 this week in increased standing orders. Increased standing orders, regular monthly payments, are extremely helpful — even more so than one-off donations.